Weekly Updates

Let us know what you think about the site - what we're doing right or wrong, what you'd like to see, and any questions you might have. We'll toss some of our own thoughts and opinions in as well, including notes on the Weekly Updates at the main site.
Forum rules
* Nothing involving children on the receiving end of spankings!
* Be nice.
* Please keep to the forum subject. If you have an idea for a new forum, please send a PM to web-ed.
Sweetspot

Re: Weekly Updates

Post by Sweetspot »

I'm of the opinion that the artwork of Don Flowers is among the best to be found in the funny pages be it Diana Dane, Oh' Diana, Modest Maidens or Glamor Girls. As far as Oh' Diana is concerned I think it's obvious that the artwork went down the tube after Flowers departed. Whether that art was by first Bill Champe or another it was always both literally and figuratively more "sketchy" than the work of Flowers who seemed to have a very aggressive and confident style.
Here's an early Don Flowers from 1931 - in this particular strip several handsome but typically bland looking young men are proposing marriage to Diana. They all believe she has recently come into a fortune. Spoiler alert - she hasn't. Even Mr. Dooley has a more novel proposal for Diana, he says he will marry her in spite of her money! [Obviously we see here that Dooley is not in fact Diana's brother unless this is the weirdest comic strip family ever. Who is Dooley? He was described as a shiftless leech and a thorn in the side of Elmer "Pops" Dane. But he is a boarder, friend of the Danes and often a comic foal in the strip.]
DianaDareApr29,1931.jpg
DianaDareApr29,1931.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
This is how the artwork appeared in 1951. I can't make out the name of the artist, in fact most of these panels are rather blurry - sorry about that. The strip has converted into a traditional high school teen strip with the traditional strip family. Elmer, mother Clarabelle, neighborhood kid Angelica and I assume younger brother Jackie are the mainstay characters. Every image of Diana is no longer a fashion pose and she is seemingly no longer of college age, Elmer is taller and Mr. Dooley has evidently move on.
OhDianaDecember10,1951.jpg
OhDianaDecember10,1951.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 05/26/2017

Post by web-ed »

Thanks for this additional research, Phil. I've just started coding next week's Diana Dane spanking #3, and I had written a little about Flowers' exit from the strip and its subsequent history under other artists who were surely not his equal. I also wrote that I wasn't sure how far in time your researches had gotten. Do you know when Oh, Diana! ended - was it in the mid-50's or did it make it all the way to the end of the AP syndicate in 1961? Is there any chance of another spanking from those later years?

Flowers was an excellent artist and as we see some of his work on Modest Maidens/Glamor Girls I will suggest he would have made a fine addition to Humorama's regular artists and put forward a theory as to why that didn't happen.

Now to amplify for everyone else's benefit on a subject you brought up: Phil has never taken anything from Andre at SPK, and although I have done so, I always credit him accordingly. Therefore, when you see "Scan by Sweetspot" on CSR, you can rest assured, I got it from Phil and he got it through his own efforts. :)

And Phil's estimate is about right - I don't think I've posted quite 10% of all his finds, so we're going to be running "The Year of the Comic Strip" for some time, quite probably into 2018 just as "Humorama Year" in 2011 didn't end until August of 2013 :lol: ! Once we're done with the Don Flowers Series (June 16), perhaps we can move on to some of those strips that Phil found with JimC. in mind.
-- Web-Ed
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Hi, Web-ed and Sweetspot.

As you already know, I'm not usually a fan of parental spankings as entertainment... but once again, Diana looks so cute across her daddy's knee! And I appreciated the history lesson you provided. Until recently, I was unaware of Diana Dane.
web-ed wrote:Flowers was an excellent artist and as we see some of his work on Modest Maidens/Glamor Girls I will suggest he would have made a fine addition to Humorama's regular artists and put forward a theory as to why that didn't happen.
Yes, Don Flowers was an excellent artist. His way of drawing pretty woman was simple and elegant. Too bad we didn't get to see more of them get spankings!
jimc

Post by jimc »

i am sorry if it sounded like you took from Spk Comics Phil. I really do appreciate all the work you have done in researching and finding all the mainstream comics about Spanking. i sometimes do not correctly identify the contributor and sometimes i do not take the time to properly thank everyone for their efforts. So thanks for all that everyone does as i really do enjoy all the finds that everyone has shared. i loved the OH DIANA finds as it was great to see a paternal spanking given to a almost adult daughter as she was quite lovely and it did convey the feelings that i would assume from the number of spankings that it was more prevelant in the era as it did seem like there were a plethora of spanking scenes in comic strips across the land. Thanks again to everyone and have a great day.
Jim
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Actually Jim I realize from our correspondence outside of CSR that you weren't implying that I was swiping from another blog. I could have and should have made that clearer. I just wanted to put my clarification out there for the more casual reader. The rant I made came from a certain amount of frustration on my part from knowing that certain images that I discovered last year (not my clips obviously) are now finding their way onto other spanking oriented sites but are being dropped without being placed in there historical and cultural context. But kudos to any and all who take the time and make the effort to bring new material to those of us who enjoy vintage mainstream graphic images of our subject of choice. I appreciate the fact that you have provided me with several very good leads that have resulted in a few new finds of general interest - two are pretty unique. I have been unable to find a spanking related to the Jackson Twins and a birthday party. Also I have to leave the search for the "Dribble" family spanking to the web-ed and others who take the lead in comic book research, those are two promising spanking scenes I would really like to see :o I hope you enjoy the several panels that I did find, sounds like the web-ed is planning for a release of those sometime this summer or even sooner!
Sweetspot

Re: Weekly Updates for 05/26/2017

Post by Sweetspot »

Web-ed wrote - "I've just started coding next week's Diana Dane spanking #3, and I had written a little about Flowers' exit from the strip and its subsequent history under other artists who were surely not his equal. I also wrote that I wasn't sure how far in time your researches had gotten. Do you know when Oh, Diana! ended - was it in the mid-50's or did it make it all the way to the end of the AP syndicate in 1961? Is there any chance of another spanking from those later years?"
I spent a very satisfying evening looking up that information using the original source material - old newspapers. Let's start with the unexpected. Ken Allen was the editor of the Albert Lea Evening Tribune [Minnesota] in 1954 and he evidently had the power of life or death over the strips that ran in his newspaper. A reader, Van Chase, with a passion for the strip "Martha Wayne" [yup, see you later Martha] complains about the absence of Martha in the daily in favor of Scorchy Smith [yup, see you later Scorchy] and our good friend Oaky Doaks. We get a terrific explanation on how a strip is selected and retained or dismissed by a mid 20h century U.S. newspaper. In particular we discover why he dumped Oh Diana! To me this is a pretty fascinating column and a rare look inside the funnies business.
albertleaeveningtribuneMay5,1954.jpg
albertleaeveningtribuneMay5,1954.jpg (568.74 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

Let's take a look at why editor Ken Allen may have concluded that Diana Dane [actually Diana Dean at this point] did not provide a wholesome outlook for teenage girls.
Oh,DianaMarch1,1953.jpg
Oh,DianaMarch1,1953.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Oh,DianaMay3,1953.jpg
Oh,DianaMay3,1953.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Kissing on the first date? I got to think that wasn't to bad even by the standards of 1953.
Admitted cheater at school - not cool Diana, not cool
"All they talk about is how you make love" Am I missing something here? Did that have a different meaning back in 1953?

Here's the very last Oh! Diana strip I was able to find from any newspaper I have in my archive [March 9, 1954]
Oh,DianaMarch9,1954.jpg
Oh,DianaMarch9,1954.jpg (132.01 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Art by Vernon Rieck and probably written by Phil Berube who was a previous artist on this strip.
Looks pretty odd for a Diana Dane strip as created by Don Flowers doesn't it? I'll get into that in my next post.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

I'm going to quote at length from my copy of "The Funnies - 100 Years Of American Comic Strips" by Ron Goulart [page 136] -
"Don Flowers was one of several artists who based his style pretty much on that of Russell Patterson [see main-site web-ed is on top of this]. Quite open, as well as whimsical, about his sources of inspiration, flowers once told an interviewer, 'Any claim to fame that I might have I owe to diligent swiping right and left and staying sober at the drawing board.' In addition to Patterson, he listed British cartoonist Gilbert Wilkinson and New Yorker regular Garrett Price as his favorites. In the late 1920s, he worked on the art staff of the Kansas City Star... Moving on to Manhattan, Flowers signed with the Associated Press and in 1930 began doing a daily pretty girl panel titled Modest Maidens. He also produced Oh Diana, a prosaic pretty girl humor strip. He later admitted that he had 'hated every minute' of the twelve years he devoted to Diana and her crowd."

I've got to say it's a little disappointing to read that Don hated his time on Oh Diana! [Maybe that's why he had her spanked so often 8-)] Anyway, I would guess that given that attitude he wasn't upset about what became of his strip after he left. Skipping ahead from when he left Diana in the early 1940s to the year 1953 we see that the strip took a dramatic turn, probably in an attempt to placate newspaper editors like Ken Allen back in Albert Lea, MN by returning the strip to a firmer moral base. In doing so the Dane/Dean family all but disappears from the strip and most of the action moves to Valley Stream High School and eventually away from its small town roots all together. In her final months on the comic page Diana and her "crowd" frustrates a pair of robbers, saves a life at summer camp, overcomes a girl who steals the secret plays of the football team and blames it on her. Lastly the strip turns it attention to the evils of illegal drug use; a noble ambition but far removed from the original intent of Flowers' strip.
On July 16,1953 Diana says good-bye to her parents and in fact so do we. Their next appearance will be a cameo - driving her to the hospital to visit two friends, a good boy and a bad boy, one hurt in a auto accident on an icy road the other already hurt - who were also "involved" in some drug dealing. One of the boys is named Jack - I thought maybe that would turn out to be her brother Jackie all grown up but that wasn't the case.
Oh,DianaJuly16,1953.jpg
Oh,DianaJuly16,1953.jpg (127.46 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

Let's skip ahead to Diana's visit to see her friends at the hospital in February 1954. For some inexpressible reason Diana's last name is now Dean. By the way, in the end, her dad's name is no longer Elmer but Harry.
Oh,DianaFebruary24,1954.jpg
Oh,DianaFebruary24,1954.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Oh,DianaMarch1,1954.jpg
Oh,DianaMarch1,1954.jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
"dope peddling ring"! I personally think Berube and Rieck would have been better off leaving Oh Diana! as the "prosaic pretty girl humor strip" it was created to be. The above panel is from March 1,1954 and as I said the last strip I found was published a week later. Draw your own conclusions but this strip certainly had a unfortunate ending as it veered off course in its final years.
Last edited by Sweetspot on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: The End of Oh, Diana

Post by web-ed »

Very interesting, Phil - thanks for doing the follow-up research. I knew that Flowers had hated Oh, Diana but I had been unable to determine exactly when it ended. There were some indications it was 1953 but your research shows conclusively that it was still around in 1954. It does seem to have been running out of steam, and I'm going to hazard a guess that it ended in '54 or '55 with few mourning its passing.

Now the reply of editor Ken Allen to that Albert Lea Evening Tribune is, as you say, absolutely fascinating :o ! It gives us a look inside the mind of a (probably) typical editor of the day and suggests one of the reasons Oh, Diana was dropped by individual newspapers.

First, why the concern about strips that didn't have "a wholesome outlook"? While the 50's was a very good time in America, trouble was already brewing and juvenile delinquency was a matter of great concern. We know that comic books had been under fire for years, and in 1954 adopted The Comics Code Authority. (For some further discussion of the Code, CSR Readers are referred to my article The Effects of the Comics Code on Spanking).

Now, newspaper comic strips were not subject to the Code, and were generally seen as more wholesome than comic books, but obviously editors and creators were feeling some pressure, and it cannot be coincidence that the drug abuse storyline you found took place in 1954, the very year the Code would ban all mention of drug usage in comic books (even in a preachy way about its evils).

On the subject of Diana's alleged lack of wholesomeness, I agree with you that kissing on a first date could hardly be seen as immoral even in 1953. The cheating incident was of course more serious, and perhaps Ken Allen felt that Diana was just a little too footloose when it came to boys generally and was likely to get herself in trouble sooner or later.

On "making love": I think I can help here. This expression had a somewhat milder meaning in 1953 than "having sex" which it came to mean later. I would translate it as "Romancing the girls" or "Pitching the woo" or "Engaging in courtship rituals". Think of Cole Porter's lyric for his song "Sensational" from High Society (1956):

Making love is quite an art;
What you require is the proper squire
To fire your heart.

Now Porter, along with fellow lyricist Lorenz Hart, would sometimes intend a sexual reference in a lyric, but I don't see that as the case here: reporter Mike Connor is starting to romance socialite Tracy Lord, but their relationship (which comes at an awkward time as she's about to be married) hasn't yet progressed to the sexual level.

O.K., 1:30 A.M. - time to shut up for the evening. (Until tomorrow :lol: ).
-- Web-Ed
web-ed
Site Admin

Weekly Updates for 06/02/2017

Post by web-ed »

We jolt into June with Diane Dane Spanking #3 and the start of another Super-Spanking Summer 8-) !

The Hulk is doing more belching than spanking by the time Doctor Cylon has finished with this Boris Vallejo painting, but we thought we'd throw it in here since the good Doctor is helping us kick of Super-Spanking Summer.
© Boris Vallejo. The Hulk is © Marvel Characters Inc.
  • For our third in a 5-part series on spankings from the comic strip art of Don Flowers we have the last of three very nice paternal spankings Sweetspot discovered in Diana Dane.
  • What better way to kick off another Super-Spanking Summer than with a Wonder Woman mini-series? Doctor Cylon does the inaugural honors by showing us Wonder Woman's Weakness.
I hope everyone is enjoying the Don Flowers series - Phil Sweetspot has put in a lot of time researching old newspapers to make this possible, and I've been trying my level best to keep up with him with some research and cogent comments of my own. We've seen the three very good spankings in Diana Dane/Oh, Diana, but Flowers is better remembered for another series - Modest Maidens/Glamor Girls (yes, we'll explain the name change) - and we'll move on to it next time.

Hard to believe it's time for another Super-Spanking Summer, but it is, and I will continue it until Labor Day or the week after. I have a fair amount of superhero material in the files, but I'm afraid the days when I could do three or four updates a week are past, and it's going to be a strain just to do one super-spanking per week along with the Comic Strip Series, which I did not want to interrupt all summer the way I did last year's Rivals of Humorama series.

Also worth mentioning are Phil Overbarrel's Good Marks, still going strong over in his gallery, and Hugob00m's latest O.T. Katie adventure, Cosplay, over in his gallery. Sorry I can't provide direct links here because I'm already at the two-link limit, but you can find them easily from the Board Index page.

My thanks to Phil O., b00m, Phil S., and Doctor Cylon for making this week's offerings on CSR possible :D.

Next Week: For Part Four of our 5-part series on spankings from the comic strip art of Don Flowers, we look at his Glamor Girls strip. And Super-Spanking Summer continues as Power Girl takes Wonder Woman over her knee for a power-spanking :) !
-- Web-Ed
jimc

Post by jimc »

Wow the 3rd spanking was the best of the 3 it did show her in a summer dress and hairbow that did make her look younger and her dad knew one of them needed a spanking and i thought Diana was the best candidate. This is one great find. I like Dr. Cylon's work as well great start for June and the summer. Thanks for the commentary and the spanking critique. Thanks for all everyone did Phil for his research and web-ed for coding it and posting his comments as well. Have a great day.
Jim
hugob00m

Post by hugob00m »

Thanks, Web-ed and Sweetspot!

Diana looked really cute in that panel, turned over her daddy's knee... but I sure wish she would've gotten at least one spanking from a boyfriend! I guess Don Flowers wasn't into the romantic spanking thing. To bad!

I appreciate knowing the history of the comic and the story of Don Flowers's involvement, along with the decline in the comic's quality after Flowers left.
web-ed
Site Admin

Re: Weekly Updates for 06/02/2017

Post by web-ed »

hugob00m wrote: Diana looked really cute in that panel, turned over her daddy's knee... but I sure wish she would've gotten at least one spanking from a boyfriend! I guess Don Flowers wasn't into the romantic spanking thing. Too bad!

I appreciate knowing the history of the comic and the story of Don Flowers's involvement, along with the decline in the comic's quality after Flowers left.
Glad to hear you liked the history, B00m - I know there was quite a lot of it between the pages themselves and Phil's report here on the forum, but that's one of the things that makes CSR different :) .

Yes, it's too bad that Flowers was not into erotic spanking, because not only did Diana Dane deserve lots more spankings than she got, we'll see next week that Flowers created many other females in Modest Maidens/Glamor Girls who really deserved spankings as well (only two actually did, as far as we know). Then there is the Humorama question: can you imagine what Flowers might have done at Humorama during its classic period (1955-60) had he enjoyed doing "spankers" as Dan DeCarlo evidently did just when Abe Goodman was so eager to buy them? This is a question I'll touch upon probably in two weeks when we've seen several examples of Flowers' Glamor Girls.
-- Web-Ed
butch46163@yahoo.com

Post by butch46163@yahoo.com »

What A Way to Kick Off Super Spanking Summer With A Wonder Woman SPANKING!!!! 8-) 8-) being she have a movie out right now :D :twisted: don`t think she mad at Doctor Cylon for finding out her weakness judging from her facial expression :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: love the nice shade of red he colored her bottom 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: being she a woman with so much power I`m happy to see that she into being humble with spankings :twisted: 8-) :D :D Great job Doctor Cylon for a Outstanding drawing and finding WW true weakness :D :D even though Diana wasn`t spanked by her boyfriend I`m glad she still being spanked by Pops :lol: :lol: :lol: what a Fantastic over the knee spanking this one have 8-) not to offend but I wonder did he spanked the young girl also? I think he should being how much a brat she was to him!! Fantastic drawing 8-)
willjohn

Post by willjohn »

Somebody finally found the great Amazon's weakness? Perhaps she enjoys it.
overbarrel49

Post by overbarrel49 »

Hi web-ed,

I am indeed enjoying the Don Flowers series :D . Also, I appreciate all the work you do and I totally happy with one superhero spanking per week along with your comic strip series ;) . Ok, on to this week's updates.......I agree with some of the other comments in that Diana looks really cute over her dad's lap :D . Flowers has done a good job of having her properly bent over his lap with her bottom high up for the spanking. I think what makes this work, even with the black skirt, is that fact that this is obviously a light weight summer skirt that is properly affected by gravity, causing it to hug her curves as it lies over her bottom :D . The pain stars and the kicking legs just add to the cute look of this one. Diana is obviously shocked at finding herself in this predicament but if I have a complaint with this one, it's that her facial expression isn't really clearly drawn. Thanks for all the history of this strip. I always enjoy reading this background stuff :D . Now for Doc Cylon. What can I say except that the good doctor really knows how to pick a drawing to enhance :D . What a great drawing of a really spankable bottom. It's amazing just how much a nice red bottom makes any girl look really cute and really attractive 8-) . Wonderful updates. Thanks, Phil
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Good show, Web-ed! I mean about the "Diana Dane" series. There is something intriguing about seeing a no-nonsense father spanking his attractive, 20-ish daughter over his knee as if she were a naughty child. I have not seen many toons using this particular motif.

Of the three "Diana" toons you posted, my favorite is the second, the one dated 1938. For one thing, here the apogee of Pop's swing is above his head, signifying a long, hard swing of his arm's descent onto the promised land, i.e. Diana's butt. That suggests that in this case her spanking was much harder than in the other two panels. The OTK positioning is darned near perfect, too. Some of your viewers seem to believe that if the spanker uses a straight-back chair to sit on, the girl's legs are more free to kick during her spanking, but my chosen favorite shows Diana kicking her pretty legs fetchingly too, though Pop is seated on a sofa. It's all in how the artists draw the action.

As I say, good show.

Cheers,
Dan
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

It's been a nice three-week run with three very good paternal spanking scenes by Don Flowers. If it seems like Year of Comic Strip Spanking #2 has started off heavy with daddy/daughter scenarios you would be right and there are still more to come. But that's just the nature of funny pages, a medium that is heavy with family strips showcasing put-upon, naïve fathers dealing with, not delinquent by any means, but often rebellious teen and young adult offspring. And let's face it, in the real world- a daughter, ward, niece, etc. - discipline spanking is going to be the most frequent situation that arises and the comics merely reflect that fact. But be assured that there are plenty of romantic or at least non-domestic situations yet to be posted. I personally don't favor one or the other I just like !to see a well-drawn pretty girl [not a kid] across a guy's lap.
Perhaps your preference for one of the three spanking panels over the other two comes down to what you prefer that Diana Dane is wearing. In #1 she is in what appears to me to be see-through lingerie. But you might prefer the long tight fitting dress found in #2. I like her clothing in #3, a romper like outfit that shows off her luscious, long legs! The over-all affect of the spanking is striking, in the blow-up in particular it appears almost 3 dimensional. The pain stars seem to be emanating from her upper-thighs meaning that it's not just her gorgeous back-side that Elmer Dane is targeting.
Flowers often used exaggerated punctuation marks as punch-lines. Meaning that the gag is in the character's reaction to what is taking place. Diana's response to her first spanking is a huge question mark - as in why am I being spanked for coming home early? In the next two spanking scenes her reaction has changed to a gigantic exclamation point! Meaning perhaps she understands what is happening but is shocked by her father's behavior. The first two spankings result in Diana threatening to leave home while she has a more measured response to the last spanking as if realizing that this time she really had it coming and an understanding that in taking this spanking she has spared Angelica from the same fate. By the way, when Elmer says "she can dish it out but can't handle a little spankin' " he is referring to the fact that Diana doesn't hesitate to spank Angelica when she spoils one of her dates or some such thing.
Other quick notes as the Diana Dane series comes to an end. Jackie her brother who flips sides in the spanking#2 story is seldom in the strip. Evidently he and his mother spend several years at a time in the '30s attending to a sick-relative far from home. Web-ed made a nice catch when he noted that Dooley mysteriously and instantaneously changed clothes just before spanking #1. Also I've really enjoyed web-ed's remarks to this point and look forward to the next several weeks of Flowers art. To me the most interesting visual in the series is how much shorter dad is than his daughter. It is pretty funny to see the diminutive dad take the long-legged lovely over his knee and spank her with authority! Flowers successors in the strip would eventually add a good bit of height to Mr. Dane, adding realism to the images but taking away from the farcical nature of the situation.
Sweetspot

Post by Sweetspot »

By 1953 many newspapers had started to drop the Oh, Diana! strip from their funny pages. Perhaps the day of the prosaic pretty-girl comic strip with continuity had come and gone. We know for a fact that one of the problems that the post-Flowers strip had was the presentation of Diana as a girl who no longer represented, in the eyes of newspaper editors, how a real teenage girl should behave - so, horrors of horrors, she set a bad example. Diana had reverted to being a high school student in the strip but seemed to retain her young adult and college co-ed sensibilities and habits. She cheated on tests in school, kissed with passion on her first dates! and joked about her male friend's inability to "make love" that didn't cause girls to snicker. Web-ed has pointed out that to make love didn't carry the same meaning as it does today. Over-all though we can see, in '50s terms anyway, why the editor's of the day question Diana's wholesomeness.
Just for fun let's look at a couple of other examples found in the comics of 1953 that used the phrase "make love". Not included is one from The Jackson Twins that I failed to relocate. In that strip a male friend asked the teen twins if they had made one of their famous "switches" in order that they could both experience a particular handsome fellow "make love" to them. The question didn't phase the girls at all.

Colonel Canyon barely knows the lady who wants him to make love to her. Steve shows an unwillingness to join the mile-high club.
SteveCanyonLOVEJune12,1953.jpg
SteveCanyonLOVEJune12,1953.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
So our friend Oaky Doaks was ready to make love to the girl if he only hadn't started feeling seasick.
OakyDoaksLOVESeptember15,1953.jpg
OakyDoaksLOVESeptember15,1953.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
daneldorado

Post by daneldorado »

Check out the dictionary. "Phase" is a noun meaning a stage in a process of change. "Faze" is a transitive verb meaning to disturb or disconcert someone. In your example of someone asking the Jackson twins if they wanted a certain handsome fellow to make love to them, "the question didn't FAZE the girls at all."

Concerning the many many uses of the term "making love" in the mid-20th century, you already have the examples from "High Society", Steve Canyon, and Oaky Doaks. There is also the example from Cole Porter's "Night and Day" where the lyrics say "spend my life making love to you" and that's from 1934! So yes, yes, in those days "making love" meant heavy necking! I'm a lot older than you are, so that's how I remember that.

Cheers,
Dan